Employment lawyer (full-time or part-time)
This vacancy is now closed – thanks for your interest.
Willans LLP is a full-service law firm noted for giving expert, practical and personal service to local, national and international clients. We employ around 80 people at our Regency offices on Imperial Square in Cheltenham.
We have a solid reputation for providing first-class legal advice, high-calibre yet approachable lawyers, and exceptional client care to local, national and international clients.
Our employment law & business immigration team is ranked in the top tier by Legal 500 and the partner who heads the team is the only person in the Gloucestershire, Somerset and Wiltshire region recognised by Legal 500 as a ‘Leading Individual’ in employment law. The team has a strong, loyal and varied client base including multi-national companies, SMEs, some of Gloucestershire’s top 100 businesses, owner-managed businesses, start-ups and not-for-profit organisations.
Clients quote: “We have a great experience working with the team at Willans both personally and professionally. I contact about 100 law firms worldwide each year and you are undoubtedly on the top tier. […] All of the team at Willans have impressive qualities – they’re fully customer orientated and provide solutions which are both technically perfect and also practical.”
We have an opportunity for a successful candidate to join us at an exciting time of expansion. The person will assist our employment & business immigration partner and senior associate solicitor with a wide variety of cases.
You will be someone in the earlier stages of their legal career (ideally 0-3 years’ PQE) who possesses the drive and ambition to learn quickly to contribute to the continued growth of the practice in a supportive environment.
We are willing to consider this role being carried out on a part-time/flexible working basis.
A bit about what we need from you:
- You will be a solicitor or fully qualified chartered legal executive with good employment law experience.
- Experience in business immigration matters would be desirable but is not essential.
- You will be enthusiastic, bright and personable with a “can do” attitude, a good team ethic, and a keenness to build your career in this field.
- You will have a professional manner, be a good communicator and IT savvy.
- You will have a strong academic record, research and analytical skills.
A bit about what the role may include:
- Providing telephone, email and face-to-face advice to business clients on a wide range of contentious and non-contentious employment law issues.
- Supporting senior lawyers with employment tribunal litigation and other large scale matters including support on corporate transactions.
- Drafting employment contracts, HR policies and staff handbooks for employer clients as well as other documents such as settlement agreements.
- Developing and delivering in-house training packages for clients on various employment law topics.
- Acting for individual clients in relation to settlement agreements, severance matters and disputes with employers.
- Having conduct of your own employment law matters (dependent on experience).
- Helping with department and firm-wide marketing initiatives such as speaking at seminars/webinars and writing newsletters.
A bit about us
Willans has a reputation for its friendly and supportive working environment.
Offering training and career development opportunities is just a small part of how we invest in our people. We will support and guide you in building your individual profile, offering opportunities for you to get involved in marketing initiatives both online and offline, including local networking events and functions.
(When we aren’t in a pandemic!) Our lively calendar of relaxed social events ranges from in-house baking competitions and quiz nights through to pizza evenings. We also support countless initiatives around the county from events at Cheltenham Festival to University of Gloucestershire law school. Our charity committee also organise fundraisers across the firm to support our charity of the year, and we have a green committee which helps champion environmentally-friendly improvements across our offices from in-house composting and recycling outlets to energy efficiencies and carbon footprint reductions.
As well as a competitive salary, we offer a pension scheme, health benefits, 25 days holiday plus bank holidays and excellent working conditions. Our central Cheltenham offices overlook one of the town’s iconic parks.
To apply please write or email your cv, with a covering letter, to:
28 Imperial Square
Cheltenham GL50 1RH
Willans is an equal opportunities employer.
To find out how your personal data could be used as part of our recruitment process please read our privacy notice for candidates.