Compliance manager (full-time)
This vacancy has now closed.
Willans LLP has a solid reputation for providing first-class legal advice, high-calibre yet approachable lawyers, and exceptional client care to local, national and international clients. We employ around 90 people and have Regency offices overlooking one of Cheltenham’s iconic parks.
An opportunity has arisen for a capable individual to work with our COLP, MLRO and managing partner (‘relevant partners’) on steering the firm on compliance obligations including managing day-to-day compliance activities, monitoring the firm and where needed, suggesting and implementing improvements across the firm.
This role will give the person the opportunity and autonomy to further develop our compliance programme and processes alongside relevant partners.
The successful candidate is joining at an exciting time ahead of our 75 years in business milestone.
A bit about the role:
- To keep abreast of general legislative and regulatory requirements placed on the firm (including, but not limited to, the SRA Standards and Regulations, data protection, anti-tax evasion, anti-bribery, diversity and equality and anti-money laundering legislation but it does not extend to employment law).
- To monitor compliance within the firm of the various regulatory requirements through observance of the firm’s policies and procedures and by regular review of risk data (including outcomes of file reviews and reports).
- To make recommendations as to any steps needed to ensure compliance and implement those steps under the direction and supervision of relevant partners.
- To act as an interface between the members of the firm and relevant partners in relation to queries or questions relating to compliance.
- To be the first point of contact for members of the firm to self-report breaches or concerns and to assess internal breach reports and liaise with relevant partners where necessary.
- To maintain the firm’s compliance processes, procedures and documents (such as our office manual) and arrange compliance training for new starters and other staff.
A bit about what we need from you:
- You’ll have previously worked in a law firm, either as a compliance manager or as part of a compliance team.
- You will have a good knowledge and understanding of the SRA Standards and Regulations, anti-money laundering regulations and data protection law.
- You’ll thrive under pressure, be quick to respond and be calm and level-headed when supporting busy teams with compliance queries.
- You’ll enjoy learning about industry developments and applying them to your compliance role.
- You’ll possess excellent communication skills and the ability to work with people at all levels.
A bit about us:
Willans has a reputation for its friendly and supportive working environment.
Offering training and career development opportunities is just a small part of how we invest in our people.
Our lively calendar of relaxed social events ranges from in-house baking competitions and quiz nights through to pizza evenings. We also support countless initiatives around the county from events at Cheltenham Festival to University of Gloucestershire law school. Our charity committee also organise fundraisers across the firm to support our charity of the year, and we have a green committee which helps champion environmentally-friendly improvements across our offices from in-house composting and recycling outlets to energy efficiencies and carbon footprint reductions.
As well as a competitive salary, we offer a pension scheme, health benefits (Medicash), 25 days holiday plus bank holidays and excellent working conditions.
Contract: permanent, subject to a satisfactory probationary period
Hours per week: Monday to Friday, 9-5.30pm, although we would consider the possibility of this role being performed on a flexible working basis.
Remuneration: As well as a competitive salary and pension, we offer a range of staff benefits including medical cover, 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays) and excellent working conditions.
Please send us your cv with a covering letter for the attention of our managing partner, Bridget Redmond.Apply for this role
Willans is an equal opportunities employer.
To find out how your personal data could be used as part of our recruitment process please click here to read our privacy notice for candidates.