We continue to provide our legal services through the COVID-19 pandemic. Please visit our COVID-19 Hub for legal insights, or contact us directly.
Get in Touch Menu

I predict a riot

19 July 2016

On 23 March 2016 the Riot Compensation Act 2016 received royal assent. It is yet to come into effect but when it does it will repeal the old 1886 Act and create a new scheme allowing compensation to be claimed from the appropriate local policing authority for property that is damaged, destroyed or stolen in the course of a riot. It applies to property that was not insured, or was under-insured, against loss or damage.

There is a £1 million cap on compensation in anyone claim and consequential loss is not recoverable, such as rent which would have been received had the property not been damaged. Costs incurred for things like alternative accommodation are claimable. The riots in London and other cities in 2011 were the catalyst for this new act as previous legislation was found wanting. If law and order breaks down due to a riot and the police cannot control this and damage is caused, then the police become liable to pay out those affected.

In view of the limits of compensation, property owners may wish to review their insurance policies for damage caused by riot.

Alasdair works in our commercial property team. He began his career in the City and joined us from a leading regional firm. He is a member of the Ethical Property Foundation. An experienced commercial property specialist, Alasdair deals with a wide range of work in relation to sales & acquisitions, development transactions, landlord and tenant and property management matters. 

We're here to help
Alasdair Garbutt LLB (Hons)
View profile
Alasdair Garbutt
Related services
Share this article
Resources to help

Related articles

Land access for digital infrastructure is subject of new consultation

Commercial property

The government has opened a consultation to help them understand whether changes to the Electronic Communications Code are required. A government consultation is underway to review the legal framework for…

Alasdair Garbutt LLB (Hons)

COVID-19: a commercial property update for landlords & tenants

Commercial property

As you will be aware from some of our previous updates, a number of measures have been put in place to give businesses the breathing space and tools they need…

Emma Thompson LLB (Hons)

Legal perspectives on the Budget 2021


In the Chancellor’s first Budget speech last year, made as COVID-19 started to take hold in the UK, Rishi Sunak promised to do “whatever it takes to support the economy”.…

Contact us