Get in Touch Menu

Agricultural buildings to residential dwellings

09 June 2014

We have now seen the publication of changes to the Town and Country Planning General Permitted Development Order which in some cases, allows agricultural buildings to be converted into residential houses.

These provisions came into force on 6 April 2014 and the first applications are due any day now.

An agricultural building of up to 450 square metres, may be able to be converted into three residential houses. Although, location is a key consideration as national parks, commons, areas of outstanding natural beauty and conservation areas are excluded.

The new regulations contain a number of features which will create significant debate over coming months and will undoubtedly lead to different interpretations depending on your local authority.

The new provisions are not just about a change of use, they also allow for new windows, doors, roofs and external walls and services to be installed. Partial demolition is also sanctioned.

Most disputes are expected to arise in cases where the local authority asks for prior approval of applications. This allows them to make decisions on such matters as transport, highways, noise and flooding.

They are only able to make a judgment “where the location or siting of the building makes it otherwise impractical or undesirable for the building to change from agricultural use to residential”.  This could be interpreted in many ways given the subjective nature as to what is “impractical” or “undesirable”.  Structure, size, location and layout could all lead to a negative view on impracticality and desirability.

Further guidance will no doubt be given as recommendations and appeals are heard and parameters become clearer.

For further information, please contact our agriculture & estates department.

We're here to help
Disclaimer: All legal information is correct at the time of publication but please be aware that laws may change over time. This article contains general legal information but should not be relied upon as legal advice. Please seek professional legal advice about your specific situation - contact us; we’d be delighted to help.
Robin Beckley MA (Oxon)
Consultant, solicitor
View profile
Robin Beckley, Willans LLP
Related services
Share this article
Resources to help

Related articles

Legal agreements for biodiversity net gain

Agriculture & rural affairs

Biodiversity net gain (BNG) is now mandatory for all new property developments in England. Our agriculture & estates team details the changes below. Since 2 April 2024, grant of planning…

Adam Hale BA (Hons), TEP, FALA

Buying, selling and letting farmland during the agricultural transition

Agriculture & rural affairs

English agriculture is in the middle of a major transition, with some of the biggest changes to farming practices and farm payments seen in over half a century. Our experts…

Adam Hale BA (Hons), TEP, FALA

The advantages & traps of option agreements

Agriculture & rural affairs

An option agreement can be utilised when a developer is considering purchasing land for development. It grants them the ‘option’ to purchase land for an agreed-upon price (or price mechanism)…

Adam Hale BA (Hons), TEP, FALA
Contact us