Get in Touch Menu

Annual tax on enveloped dwellings – a pitfall for the farming community?

31 July 2014

Since 1 April 2013, an annual charge has been levied on residential property worth more than £2 million owned by “non-natural persons”, known as the annual tax on enveloped dwellings (“ATED”).

In the 2014 Budget, the Chancellor extended this charge to include:

  • properties worth over £1 million from 1 April 2015; and
  • properties worth over £500,000 from 1 April 2016.

Properties are assessed using their market value either on 1 April 2012 or on the date the property was acquired, if later. Properties will be revalued every 5 years.

For the purposes of the regime a “non-natural person” includes limited companies and partnerships where one of the partners is a corporate partner.

The farming community has reacted over the years to the various announcements from the Chancellor, restructuring where necessary to ensure they take advantage of any relevant reliefs or exemptions. If you are a farming business that has structured itself either as a limited company or as a partnership with a corporate partner, then this new regime is something that you will need to look at closely.

There are provisions for reliefs and exemptions for the farming community. Farmhouses and cottages on the farm are most likely to be caught, particularly in the future as the threshold comes down. Depending on the circumstances, there are reliefs available for property rental businesses (broadly, where a residential property is held for the purposes of a property rental business run on a commercial basis) and farmhouses (broadly, where the farmhouse is occupied for the purposes of a farming trade).

However, to benefit from a relief, you must file an “ATED return”. If you do not, you will be liable for the tax and subject to the normal rules governing late filing of tax returns and late payment of specified taxes.

For further information about ATED contact our agriculture and estates department on 01242 514000.

We're here to help
Disclaimer: All legal information is correct at the time of publication but please be aware that laws may change over time. This article contains general legal information but should not be relied upon as legal advice. Please seek professional legal advice about your specific situation - contact us; we’d be delighted to help.
Adam Hale BA (Hons), TEP, FALA
View profile
Adam Hale
Related services
Share this article
Resources to help

Related articles

Buying, selling and letting farmland during the agricultural transition

Agriculture & rural affairs

English agriculture is in the middle of a major transition, with some of the biggest changes to farming practices and farm payments seen in over half a century. Our experts…

Adam Hale BA (Hons), TEP, FALA

The advantages & traps of option agreements

Agriculture & rural affairs

An option agreement can be utilised when a developer is considering purchasing land for development. It grants them the ‘option’ to purchase land for an agreed-upon price (or price mechanism)…

Adam Hale BA (Hons), TEP, FALA

Making the most out of your land with an overage agreement

Agriculture & rural affairs

With the current housing shortage, farmers and other landowners are finding that their fields, agricultural buildings and even small parcels of unused scrub land are increasingly being considered for development.…

Adam Hale BA (Hons), TEP, FALA
Contact us